image . . . No Ordinary Wheels!

Armoured cars!  Something I’ve never had many of, so it’s a bit of an achievement getting two finished together!  Both for WW2 Pacific games, one’s a four-wheeled Marmon Herrington Mk III and the other’s a six-wheeled Crossley!

2017_0218_12421200I’d hunted round for armoured cars used in the Dutch East Indies in 1942 and I really would have liked one of the big, blocky Alvis Strausslers, but couldn’t find a model of one.  But I did find references to, and photos of, Marmon Herrington Mk IIIs supplied to Dutch forces.  Better than that, Wespe Models in Romania make one in resin, so I bought one and stashed it away (probably hoping it would make and paint itself).  The Dutch added a machine gun position next to the driver, but I decided I’d like to keep the model unmodified so that I could get away with using it with British or Dutch forces.

2017_0218_12422500The kit was quite straightforward to assemble and, since the stowed items and sand channels were all separate, I decided to leave them off to make the vehicle look less like it was operating in North Africa.  I replaced the resin Boys anti-tank rifle with one made from plastic rod (less likely to snap accidentally) but otherwise left the vehicle as it came.  I painted it in bronze green to match my other Dutch guns and vehicles and not look out of place if used by British forces in Malaya.  Am really pleased with it!

The Crossley is a Frontline Wargames model and I think it has quite a bit of character!  I bought this model years ago when I was playing the Crimson Skies aerial combat miniatures game – I liked the idea of also doing 1930s ground combat, but it never took off (excuse the pun), although I stored some of the models I’d bought, which was just as well in this case!  I think I got a bit confused, because British forces in Malaya used Lanchester armoured cars (also big six-wheelers), but since I had the Crossley I thought I might as well use it.

2017_0218_12431200I had to fill the odd blowhole in the resin and repair some minor damage to the turret ring with Milliput, and I added the machine gun barrels from plastic rod.  I remembered seeing pictures of a Lanchester in the Tank Museum painted in bronze green, so I went with that – it also meant it matched up with the Marmon Herrington if I decided to use that alongside it.  I’ve got plans to add some extra vehicles in the future for my Brits, but will probably go with the lighter greenish khaki shade used on wartime vehicles for those.

Probably be a while until I do armoured cars again, so it’s been nice to focus on something different!  And wheels are easier to paint than tracks!

Advertisements

One comment

Comments are closed.