In between the e-mail games I’ve been playing I’ve been doing some painting and not getting much finished, but it’s been easier to get some very small things done at least!
First up is a 1/600th German R-boat (above), a WW2 motor minesweeper and general purpose small escort vessel. Since finishing off my Italian coastal forces recently, I thought I’d get this second R-boat done for my Germans. The first R-boat is shown behind the new one and dates from about 1995. Both are Skytrex models and I’ll probably repaint the base on the older one to match my more recent ships.
I also thought I’d get some air support done for my Italians and Germans. The picture above shows two Italian CANT Z.501 Gabbiano flying boats, 1/600th models from Tumbling Dice Miniatures. I opted for a plain grey finish without marking so that I could use them as either Italian or Romanian aircraft (the latter operating over the Black Sea). Wingspan for these models is only about an inch and a half (40mm-ish)!
The Germans get two BV 138 flying boats (above), also 1/600th models by Tumbling Dice. Since my freehand skills are not what they were, I used some Plastic Soldier Company 1/72nd scale German tank crosses for national markings – maybe not quit correct, but they look OK I think!
I also dug out a 1/600th FW 200 Condor painted about 25 years ago! This had all of the markings hand painted – close inspection shows they could be better, but they’re not too bad!
Have been making some progress with Franco-Prussian War figures, those above being 20mm scale French Dragoons by Irregular Miniatures. I normally just paint a dark base-coat and lighter highlight and find that OK for 20mm figures. I basecoated these earlier in the year and left them aside to be finished later.
Having finished the riders, I wanted to check the colour of the horses. Normally I paint one horse in a unit black and most of the rest brown. I mix a very dark brown for the base-coat on the brown horses, but it’s very close to black, so to tell which one is the black horse at this stage I usually paint a black dot on the top of the base texture somewhere so I can tell it apart (see picture above). I was pretty sure this was a black base-coated horse, but I just could not see a black dot anywhere on the base!
And that’s because it would appear that I changed the way I marked up the bases for black-painted horses with a much more obvious method! I don’t usually do work-in-progress posts, but thought this was worth sharing for a laugh! Doh!