At the moment I’m still busy with Franco-Prussian War cavalry, but a couple of other small models have managed to get themselves finished. August sees the anniversary of three different campaigns that I have wargames figures for, so I’m trying to concentrate on them at the moment. The first major actions in the Franco-Prussian War took place 150 years ago, the most critical stage in the Russo-Polish War happened 100 years ago and 75 years ago, in 1945, the Soviets launched Operation August Storm against the Japanese in Manchuria, an event that is widely regarded as a textbook operational-level campaign.
Easiest to deal with first is the 1945 operation in Manchuria. Much of the Soviet tank strength in the Far East was made up of older pre-war T-26 and BT-5/7 light tanks, bolstered by numbers of more modern T-34s. The Soviets created a small number (around 50) of armoured personnel carriers from old T-26 light tanks and deployed them in this campaign. Can’t find any pictures of them, but I reckoned the Shapeways 3-D print of the TR-4 shown above fitted the bill! It’s got a simple enclosed superstructure replacing the original turret, big doors in either side and what appears to be a machine gun mounting point in the front and rear faces, so I reckoned it’d do the job for me! A simple paint, shade and drybrushed muck/highlight was all that was required and it’s shown with some of my ancient ESCI WW2 Soviet infantry for scale.
For the Russo-Polish War I’m still working on some Polish and Red Army infantry, but did manage to finish the Polish armoured car shown above. This was a plastic kit built years ago that had just sat around in a plain ochre undercoat, so I thought I might as well get it finished! In fact, because of its size (it was based on a Ford Model T car) I painted it in an evening! The figures are Strelets 1:72 Polish infantry for comparison. The colours were shown on the painting guide that came on the kit’s box, so I just used them and I like how it’s turned out!
The bulk of my painting time has been spent on my FPW French Dragoons and Prussian Hussars, shown above. These aren’t finished yet, but I’ve made good progress with them – for all of the figures, the riders are now finished along with the basic horse colours, so I reckon that’s them 85% – 90% complete. I’ve got other bits I’m doing some preparation on, but I reckon I’ll get the cavalry finished for August!
Stay safe everyone!