Just a quick update on how well I’m not doing in the Season of Scenery challenge. That way anyone who feels they’re under-performing can measure their progress against mine and feel that they’re getting a lot done! To be honest, the only thing I’m not doing is finishing stuff off. Having decided to do five buildings together means there won’t be much to see until they’re all done (you can see where I’d got to here). I’m working on bits most days so progress is steady at least.
The picture above shows the five Paraguayan War buildings that I’m concentrating on (yes, there are six buildings in the picture, more on that later). In my last post I’d just got all of the texturing done on the walls and added the doors and window shutters. I’ve now primed and basecoated all of the buildings and roofs and they’re ready to have a brown wash applied. The two smallest buildings have been painted in Vallejo Cork Brown to represent basic mud brick buildings roughly plastered over and I’m hoping the brown will tone down quite a bit after they get washed.
The extra building that’s appeared (rear right in the picture above) is a resin French cottage for use anytime from 1870 to 1945. I bought this after my recent Franco-Prussian wargame since I decided a few more buildings would be handy for larger games. It’s a few steps behind the Paraguayan War buildings since it’s only been primed. I’ve also photographed them on a cut-down box of A4 copier paper, since that is my standard storage box for scenery and vehicles, with the sides cut down to height to suit the models that will go inside it.
Some progress has also been made on my wife’s decoupage projects (see above). Although she’s been doing extra bits, like the tealight holder on the left and the jar on the right, the fairy door (centre) had been on hold while she decided how she’d like the door to look. She said she’d probably quite like a natural looking wooden door, so I said I’d have a go at that, knowing that if it didn’t work it could always be painted over (and I did tell her that). Realising that wood stain would be just too messy, I opted to use . . . Army Painter Soft Tone wash! I’d tried this on some 20mm figures and realised I’d never get it to work for me, but I think it’s come out not half bad on the door! Better than that, Barbara’s quite happy with it (having blogged for nearly six years, it’s maybe about time I started using her name here)! So I’m not sure what the next step is on this project, but I’ve noticed some of my green paints have moved about and there appears to be less Woodland Scenics clump foliage in the bag than there used to be!