Well, we’re into a new year and I hope that everyone’s had the chance to take it easy over the holiday period! I’m not a big one for either summarising the year just gone or planning for the one just arrived, but this post sort of includes elements of both of those things.
A couple of posts ago (see here) I wrote about how I’d had a look back through five years’ worth of posts and worked out what I’d been working on and, more importantly, what I’d been neglecting. Some of the latter were my Balkan Wars armies, with Russian Civil War forces not faring well either (although I subsequently did a bit more on them here). Having done this, I decided (somewhat hesitantly!) to take a more detailed look through my figure storage boxes to try and work out what sort of progress I was making in getting projects finished. In conjunction with this, some figures (although not many) got shifted about to rationalise storage a bit.
The picture above shows my figure storage boxes sitting in my bookcases, having been tidied up over the Christmas break. There are some other figure boxes stashed away and of the Really Useful Boxes shown above (bottom left of centre) only one contains figures (well, horse-drawn transport in practice), two being empty and three containing ships. Having tidied these up, it was time to put together a very simple spreadsheet (as you do)!
This lists the contents of 22 of the boxes shown above (it excludes five of the Really Useful Boxes and the two grey steel boxes on the right of the first picture) plus one other not shown. The three rows shown in amber are those that I intend working on a bit more this year if possible – Mexican armies for the French Intervention that I’ve recently started, Balkan Wars armies that have been neglected and Victorian Science Fiction stuff that’s been planned for years but failed to get off the ground properly. The bottom row is a box for alternative history 1930s/40s armies that I’d like to start but have so far not got anywhere with (as evidenced by there being no painted figures in that box).
Given how long I’ve been wargaming (and the fact that these are 20mm figures) I haven’t really got that many figures, but enough for what I need. What I did find though, was that I’ve made better progress than I thought I had! Quite a few figures waiting to be painted have been moved back into their boxes for now, leaving not many spaces in the boxes to be filled. In fact, filling some of the boxes brings those armies in them to a nicely finished state.
The photo above shows 1918-20 period Polish and Romanian forces moved into their own box, filling it almost completely and therefore making most use of the space available. The Romanians were moved out of the Balkan Wars box to make room for the extra Greek, Ottoman and Serbian troops I need for those conflicts (see below).
The top row of compartments in that box was vacated by the Romanians and I’ve already moved in Greek and Ottoman figures that have been based and primed. I already have all the shiny metal figures I need to fill the empty compartments! I just wish I was this far on with all my tank and ship models!